Hamlin School Founded in 1863
The Hamlin School traces its history from 1863. It was originally located at 402 Van Ness Avenue and was known as the Van Ness Seminary. Under the guidance of Mrs. Sarah B. Gamble, the school achieved a reputation for academic excellence. At a later date, the seminary moved to a new address at 1222 Pine Street.