Dear Hamlin Community,
I am honored to serve as the Chair of the Hamlin Board of Trustees for the 2016-2017 school year. The purpose of this section of the Hamlin website is to inform the community about the Board’s goals for the coming year.
Our Board of Trustees is a special group of people who volunteer their time and energy to advance the mission and goals of Hamlin. I am privileged to work with such a dedicated and talented group of alumnae, parents, educators and community members.
Hamlin’s mission is to “educate girls to meet the challenges of their time and inspire them to become extraordinary thinkers and innovators, courageous leaders and women of integrity.” This will continue to serve as the compass for our work as a Board.
Our primary goals for the 2016-2017 school year are driven by the four pillars of our 2017 “Be Extraordinary” Strategic Plan: (1) Academic and Ethical Excellence; (2) Financial Strength; (3) A Vibrant and Inclusive Community; and (4) Alumnae Engagement.
- First and most importantly, we aim to support our Head of School and staff to advance Hamlin’s mission and deliver on our program vision for the future.
- It is the Board’s belief that the daily interaction of gifted educators with inspired girls is the core of our educational value. Hamlin’s commitment to academic and ethical excellence is characterized by accomplished and creative teachers who emphasize character and integrity and deliver the highest quality instruction in humanities, math, science, technology, engineering, Spanish, music, art, dance and physical education. As such, the Board supports the Head’s efforts to employ, motivate and fairly compensate our exceptional faculty.
- The Board will continue to advance Hamlin’s long-range facilities master plan, and will support a phasing of that plan that strengthens our program excellence without compromising our financial strength.
- The Board will continue to maintain our financial strength through tight fiscal controls, sound management of our endowment, and careful attention to school expenses. We will also lead our community’s efforts to improve the strength of the school through the annual fund and capital giving.
- We will further our goal of a vibrant and inclusive community through a wide array of community events, meaningful volunteer opportunities, and effective communication.
- We will continue to enhance alumnae engagement by recognizing and reconnecting with alumnae.
Sarah Dix Hamlin would be proud to see today’s school that bears her name. Wanda Holland Greene is an extraordinary Head of School who embodies Hamlin’s mission, and is supported by a strong administrative team. All of us take considerable pride in our inclusive and diverse community, exceptionally strong admissions pipeline, and very strong placements of our Hamlin girls in high school admissions.
I look forward to the year ahead, and hope that you will all support our efforts to “Be Extraordinary.”
Chair, Board of Trustees